Table of Contents
of the Hunt for Ancestors!
|NOTICE: a patrilineal descendant of our subject is participating in the CARRICO Y-chromosome DNA Surname Project. Anyone who suspects he descends from our subject on a direct male line can support that connection with a DNA test. This individual's test results are a match for several tested descendants of Peter CARRICO, the 1674 immigrant to Maryland, so while we still don't know how our subject connects to the immigrant, the fact that he does connect is now proven.|
|Secondary sources do not agree on the identy of our subject's children. I'm supplying four different lists (below), beginning with one based on my own examination of what evidence I've found so far.|
|Husband: Peter CARRICO
Birth: bef. 1765, MD
Death (based on censuses): 1810-20, presumably in Monongalia Co., VA [now Preston Co., WV]
Death (according to Morton): 1815
Migration said to be: 1786 or 1790, VA to WV with William HEBB, future father-in-law of daughter Ann Elizabeth
Y-DNA Haplogroup: J-2a4b*, a.k.a., J-M67
Brother said to be: Francis CARRICO
|Wife: Catherine __?__
Birth: 1765-1784, but probably ca. 1772
Death: aft. 1810
|Children born in Monongalia Co., VA [now Preston Co., WV]:|
CARRICO, b. 7 Apr 1792; m. Sibbeth HOLBERT
2. James CARRICO, b. ca. 1794; m. Nancy HOLBERT
3. (Daughter A) CARRICO, b. ca. 1796
4. Ann Elizabeth CARRICO, b. 25 Nov 1798; m. Thomas F. HEBB
Based on the 1810 census, Peter had two sons and two daughters. Joseph and James appear to have married sisters, which supports that they were probably brothers and making James the younger son. The age of the other daughter is a guess.
|Children based on an email from Tim Weaver:|
|1. Joseph CARRICO, b. 9 Apr 1792, Montgomery Co., MD
2. Elizabeth CARRICO, bap. 1798, Aurora Lutheran Church, Preston Co., VA [now WV]
Weaver states that the only proven children of our subject
are Joseph and Elizabeth.
|Children based on messages at GenForum:|
/ Verlinda / Violinda CARRICO, b. 12 May 1777, Prince Georges Co.,
2. Joseph CARRICO, b. 9 Apr 1792 only son
3. Ann Eliza CARRICO, b. 25 Nov 1798
Catherine is too young to be Violinda's mother; Violinda can
only be Peter's daughter if he had a prior wife and if he was born before
ca. 1755, not just before 1765. The 15-year gap between Vioilinda
and Joseph would also signal a prior wife.
|Children as given at Ken Carrico's web site:|
|1. Francis CARRICO
2. John CARRICO, b. Monongalia Co., VA; m. HOOD
3. Eliza CARRICO, b. Monongalia Co., VA
4. Prudence CARRICO, b. Monongalia Co., VA; m. FELTON
5. Melinda CARRICO, b. 12 May 1777, Prince Georges Co., MD; d. 17 Sep 1857, Aurora, Preston Co., VA
6. Joseph CARRICO, b. 7 Apr 1792, Montgomery Co., MD; d. 2 Mar 1868, Rowlesburg, Preston Co., WV
7. James CARRICO, b. ca. 1793, Monongalia Co., VA
8. Anna Eliza CARRICO, b. 25 Nov 1798, Aurora, Monongalia Co., VA; d. 11 Sep 1884, Tucker Co., WV
"Melinda" appears to be a misreading of "Violinda" in her 1850 census record.
|Keywords for search engines: genealogy; USA, US, United States, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia|
|Sources (n.b., Preston Co. was formed in 1818 from Monongalia
and Randolph Cos.; WV was formed from VA in 1863):
1. Marriage Record:
2. 1790 Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com): the 1790 VA census was lost, so if he's in VA, we won't find him in the census.
3. 1800 Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com): the 1800 VA census was lost, so if he's in VA, we won't find him in the census.
4. 1810 Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com, Image #13 of 71; extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤
5a. Messages posted to the Carrico Family Genealogy Forum (online at GenForum.com). Message #161 there quotes the following:
5b. Samuel T. Wiley. 1882. History of Preston County (West Virginia). The Journal Printing House, Kingwood, WV [reprinted 1968 and 1993 by McClain Printing Co., Parsons, WV]:
5c. Oren Frederic Morton. 1914. A History of Preston County, West Virginia. The Journal Publishing Co., Kingwood, WV:
6. Ken Carrico. Carrico Genealogy Site (online at www.geocities.com/Heartland/Oaks/1536/).
7. Email from Tim Weaver.
8. OneWorldTree (online at Ancestry.com): the trees here are a mess with regard to CARRICOs.
9. WorldConnect / Ancestry World Trees (online at RootsWeb.com/Ancestry.com): likewise.
|Everything I have is online at this web site. I have no further information, so please don't write asking me if I do.
On the other hand, if you feel I've made an error, please don't hesitate to notify me, but in which case,
There are over 18,000 pages on this web site, and I simply don't remember every page, much less every person on every page.
|"The Cloud" is double-speak for "dumb terminal
on a main frame." Been there; done that. Never again.
You are giving away not only your privacy, but control of your data, your apps, and your computer to a corporation. Is that really where you want to go?
The IT guys on the big iron hated the Personal Computer because it gave users freedom and power; now they've conned you into being back under their control again.
|Table of Contents