Table of Contents
of the Hunt — for Ancestors!
|Gideon THOMPSON, Jr.
Nancy (__?__) GOLLAHAY
|Husband: Gideon THOMPSON, Jr.
Birth: 1764, Mecklenburg Co., NC
Death: 21 Dec 1841, Todd Co., KY
Father: Gideon THOMPSON, Sr.
Mother: Janette Ann REID
|Marriage-1: 3 or 8 Jan 1793, Mecklenburg Co., NC|
|Wife-1: Jane VANCE
Birth: 1774/5, Mecklenburg Co., NC
Death: bef. Aug 1830
Brother: John VANCE
Father: David VANCE
Mother: Ruth __?__
|Marriage-2: 12 Aug 1830, Todd Co., KY|
|Wife-2: Nancy __?__
Resident: 1867, Logan Co., KY (gave age as 88 yrs)
Other Spouse: m1. Mr. GOLLAHAY / GOLLADAY / GALLAHER
These three must be Nancy's daughters by a former marriage:
. (Daughter C) GOLLAHAY?, b. 1810-15
. (Daughter D) GOLLAHAY?, b. 1815-20
. (Daughter E) GOLLAHAY?, b. 1815-20
|Children with Jane VANCE:|
|— born in Mecklenburg Co., NC:
1. (Daughter A) THOMPSON, b. 1793-1800
2. James Turner Vance THOMPSON, b. 27 Jul 1793
3. Ruth Wilson THOMPSON, b. 16 Sep 1795; d. 1817
4. Mary "Polly" THOMPSON, b. 2 Jun 1800
— born in Christian [now Todd] Co., KY:
WARNING: I do not know for certain that "J.C." THOMPSON, s/o Gideon, is the "John" THOMPSON who shows up in Cooper Co., MO, in 1830, but the evidence points in that direction.
In the 1850 census, Jane is age 40, making her the daughter born 1810-15, but Jane married in 1822. Was she really married at the age of 12? Or was she really the daughter born 1793-1800 and fibbing about her age? She gives her birthplace as KY, which suggests she is, indeed, the younger daughter.
|Children with Nancy GOLLAHAY:|
|none — she was too old to have more children when she married our subject|
|Keywords for search engines: genealogy; USA, US, United States, Kentucky, North Carolina|
1a. LDS. Family Search: Internet Genealogy Service: IGI - International Genealogical Index (online at FamilySearch.org).
1b. Jordan R. Dodd, ed. 1993. Kentucky Marriages: Early to 1850. Liahona Research, Orem, UT (Broderbund CD-229) :
2. Census Index: U.S. Selected Counties, 1800 (Broderbund CD-312):
3. 1810 Census (extracted by A. Robert Matthiesen; see 1810 Table).
4a. Census Index: U.S. Selected Counties, 1820 (Broderbund CD-314):
4b. 1820 Census (extracted by A. Robert Matthiesen; see 1820 Table):
5. 1830 Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com; Image #19-20 of 68; extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen; see 1830 Table)):
6. Census Index (online at GenealogyLibrary.com):
7. 1840 Tax List - Todd County, Ky [link died] transcribed by Karen Combs.
8. Kentucky Court Records (LDS Microfiche No. 6049306, Fiche No. 6), Vol. 2, p. 203:
9. Beverly M. Stercula. 1966. "Thompsons of New England and Surry Co., Va." Thompson Family Magazine (online in the Archives of THOMPSON-L at RootsWeb). This Gideon Thompson is said to be the son of the Gideon Thompson who died in Mecklenburg Co., NC, in 1796. This Gideon is described as being the "Revolutionary soldier" who "removed to Kentucky."
10. From The Kentucky Land Grants by Willard Rouse Jillson (1925, Filson Club Publ., Louisville, KY; reprinted 1994 by Genealogical Publ. Co., Baltimore, MD; also online at Ancestry.com). These are the only land grants to any Gideon Thompson in Kentucky.
11. Anon. 1993. Christian County, Kentucky, Wills and Estates, 1815-1823. T.L.C. Genealogy, Miami Beach, FL.
12a. A.B. Willhite. [n.d.] Christian Co., Kentucky, Tax List, 1804-1809. (self-published; available from author at 4396 Coopertown Rd., Russellville, KY 42276, or from the Christian County Genealogical Society, Hopkinsville, KY):
12b. A.B. Willhite. [n.d.] Christian Co., Kentucky, Tax List, 1810-1813. (Self-published; available from author at 4396 Coopertown Rd., Russellville, KY 42276, or from the Christian County Genealogical Society, Hopkinsville, KY).
12c. A.B. Willhite. [n.d.] Christian Co., Kentucky, Tax List, 1814-1818. (Self-published. This book is out of print. I do not have a copy. If you have one to sell, please contact me.)
12d. A.B. Willhite. [n.d.] Christian Co., Kentucky, Tax List, 1819-1823. (Self-published; available from author at 4396 Coopertown Rd., Russellville, KY 42276, or from the Christian County Genealogical Society, Hopkinsville, KY).
12e. For a chronological/quasi-geographical presentation of THOMPSONs on the Christian Co. tax rolls, click here.
13. Todd County, Kentucky, Deed Book M, 1839-1840 (LDS FHC Film No. 355909; abstracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):
14. Anon. 1943. "Index of Revolutionary War Pension Applications." National Genealogical Society Quarterly. Supplement I, 1284 pp. (Broderbund CD-210). On p. 1113:
15. Anderson Chenault Quisenberry. 1896. Revolutionary Soldiers in Kentucky. Yearbook of the Kentucky Society of the Sons of the American Revolution, Louisville, KY (reprinted 1999 Genealogical Publ. Co., Baltimore, MD; Broderbund CD-519):
16. Stuart Seely Sprague. 1984. Kentuckians in Missouri. Genealogical Publ. Co., Baltimore, MD. On p. 154:
17. Walter Williams. 1915. A History of Northwest Missouri... Lewis Publ. Co., Chicago. [not seen]
18. Messages in the Thompson Family Genealogy Forum (online at GenForum.com).
19. LDS. Family Search: Internet Genealogy Service: Ancestral File.
|Everything I have is online at this web site. I have no further information, so please don't write asking me if I do.
On the other hand, if you feel I've made an error, please don't hesitate to notify me, but in which case,
There are over 18,000 pages on this web site, and I simply don't remember every page, much less every person on every page.
|"The Cloud" is double-speak for "dumb terminal
on a main frame." Been there; done that. Never again.
You are giving away not only your privacy, but control of your data, your apps, and your computer to a corporation. Is that really where you want to go?
The IT guys on the big iron hated the Personal Computer because it gave users freedom and power; now they've conned you into being back under their control again.
|Table of Contents