Table of Contents
of the Hunt — for Ancestors!
|Albert Roy STRAUB
|Husband: Albert Roy "Bert" STRAUB
Birth: 7 Mar 1879, Prospect, Marion Co., OH
Death: 6 Jul 1969, Serra Medical Hospital, San Jose, Santa Clara Co., CA
Occupation: farmer; rural mail carrier; Postmaster of Coyote (1914-1920), Santa Clara Co., CA
Disposition: buried Oak Hill Memorial Park, San Jose, Santa Clara Co., CA
Military Service: Philippine Insurrection: 1898-99, Pvt., Co. D, 1st Washington Vol. Inf., 8th Army Corps
Military Decorations: Purple Heart, Bronze Medal
Y-DNA Haplogroup: I1-L592
Father: George Washington STRAUB
Mother: Sarah E. CORBIN
|Marriage: 27 Dec 1905, Churchill Hotel, Fallon, Churchill Co., NV|
|Wife: Nina WILLIS
Birth: 24 Dec 1879, probably in Chillicothe, Livingston Co., MO
Death: 20 Apr 1956, San Jose, Santa Clara Co., CA
Disposition: buried Oak Hill Memorial Park, San Jose, Santa Clara Co., CA
Occupation: milliner, homemaker; Postmaster of Coyote, CA (1920-192?)
mtDNA Haplogroup: T1a4
Other Spouse: m1. 8 Oct 1897, Chillicothe, Livingston Co., MO, Walter Fernando DEAN
Father: William Murphy WILLIS
Mother: Ida BROWN
My mother believed that Nina was born in Hannibal, MO, but based on the location of her parents' marriage (1877 in Chillicothe) and their location in the 1880 Census (in Chillicothe), Nina was more likely born in Chillicothe. I suspect the source of Nina's birthplace being Hannibal is that we have a family legend of being related to Mark TWAIN, and that led to the belief that Nina was born in Hannibal. So far, the evidence doesn't support either.
|Nina's child from her former marriage, adopted by our subject:|
|1. Lucy Emma DEAN-STRAUB, b. 13 Feb 1898/9, St. Joseph, Buchanan Co., MO|
|Children with Nina WILLIS:|
Gale STRAUB, b. 4 Jan 1907, Turlock, Stanislaus Co., CA
3. Shirley D. STRAUB, b. 18 Jan 1909, Turlock, Stanislaus Co., CA
4. Sarah Janet STRAUB, b. 18 Sep 1911, Alameda Co., CA
5. Ellis Josephine "Ellie" STRAUB, b. 3 Mar 1913, San Jose, Santa Clara Co., CA
6. William Albert "Bill" STRAUB, b. 10 Aug 1915, San Jose, Santa Clara Co., CA
7. Barbara Anne "Barb" STRAUB, b. 1 Apr 1917, Morgan Hill, Santa Clara Co., CA
8. Stephen Hopkins "Steve" STRAUB, b. 30 Jul 1919, San Jose, Santa Clara Co., CA
|Keywords for search engines: genealogy; USA, US, United States, California, Missouri, Nevada, Ohio|
1. First-hand knowledge of Diana Gale MATTHIESEN. Albert Roy "Bert" & Nina (WILLIS) STRAUB were my maternal grandparents, well known to me in life and dearly loved. I am immensly proud of my grandparents. They managed to raise eight children (all decent, honest, hard-working citizens) through the years of World War I and the Great Depression, even though both were severely handicapped. My grandmother had one leg shorter than the other due to having had polio as a girl, compounded by crippling rheumatoid arthritis as an adult. My grandfather took four bullets in the head and neck during the Phillipine Insurrection, which left him with one glass eye and an arm and leg paralyzed on one side. Yet, he supported his family by driving a rural mail route in a Model-T Ford (and if you've ever seen what it takes to drive a Model-T, you know what a feat it was for a man with only one good arm and leg to do so).
2. Interviews of my mother, Nina Gale (STRAUB) MATTHIESEN, subjects' daughter. It is oral family history/legend/myth that Bert and Nina arrived in San Francisco in the aftermath of the Great Earthquake of 1906. They are said to have sold waffles to the victims from a push cart. We do know, for certain, that they were still in Nevada as late as 13 Jan 1906 and were in Turlock, CA, by 4 Jan 1907 for the birth of my mother.
3. Marriage License: Albert R. Straub and Mrs. Nina Dean, dated 27 Dec 1905, State of Nevada, County of Churchill, Recorder's No. 1144. Groom states he is 26 years of age and resides in Fallon, Nevada; bride states she is 22 years of age and resides in Fallon, Nevada. [Nina is fibbing about her age — she, too, is 26 years old.]
|4. Churchill Standard, Saturday 30 Dec 1905, section 4,
p. 2 (Quote courtesy of Bunny Corkhill, Research Curator, Churchill
County Museum & Archives, Fallon, NV.):
5. 1900 Census, Ohio: Marion and Medina Counties (Heritage Quest, Family Quest Archives, CDT623-1302): Waldo Village, Waldo Twp., Marion Co., OH, p. 291B, enumerated 4 Jun 1900, official enumeration date 1 Jun 1900 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤•
6a. 1910 Census Index/Images (online at Genealogy.com, Image #260 of 335; online at Ancestry.com, Image #29 of 34): Boarding House(?), 613 Ninth Street, Oakland City (Ward 4, Precinct 10), Oakland Twp., Alameda Co., CA, Roll 70 (Book 3), p. 129A, SN 15A, SD 3, ED 116, enumerated 25 Apr 1910, official enumeration date 15 Apr 1910 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤•
6b. 1910 U.S.A. Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com): can't find Nina and the children, and I really looked.
7. 1920 Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com; Image #2 of 38 — indexed "Stewaret"): Monterey Road, [Coyote,] Burnett Twp. (Pct.), Santa Clara Co., CA, Roll 146, p. 15B, SN 1B, SD 7, ED 121, enumerated 5 Jan 1920, official enumeration date 1 Jan 1920 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤•
8a. 1930 Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com; Image #15 of 31): Niles, Washington Twp., Alameda Co., CA, Roll 112, p. 213A, SN 8A, ED 1-352, SD 8, enumerated 11 Apr 1930, official enumeration date 1 Apr 1930 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤•
8b. 1930 Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com; Image #30 of 38): 505 Hicks Avenue, [City of San Jose,] San Jose Twp., Gardner Pct., Santa Clara Co., CA, Roll 218, p. 131A, SN 16A, ED 43-84, SD 10, enumerated 8 Apr 1930, official enumeration date 1 Apr 1930 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤•
|9. 1940 U.S. Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at
Ancestry.com, Image #20 of 44): 764 2nd Street, Niles, Washington
Twp., Alameda Co., CA, Roll T627_191, p. 2315B, SN 10B, SD 6, ED 1-179,
enumerated 15 Apr 1940, official enumeration date 1 Apr 1940 (extracted
by Diana Gale Matthiesen):
|10a. Polk's Oakland (California) City Directory.
R.L. Polk & Co., San Francisco, CA (online at Ancestry.com and/or fold3.com):
10b. Polk-Husted San Jose City and Santa Clara County [California] Directory. R.L. Polk & Co., Sacramento, CA (online at Ancestry.com and/or fold3.com):
10c. Polk's San Jose (California) City Directory. R.L. Polk & Co., San Francisco, CA (online at Ancestry.com and/or fold3.com):
11. Certificate of Death: Albert Roy Straub, Registered 8 Jul 1969, State of California, County of Santa Clara, San Jose, California, Local Reg. Dist. No. 4300, Certificate No. 03407 5/6; informant: Mrs. Gale Matthiesen [d/o deceased]. Death: 6 Jul 1969, Serra Medical Hospital, 455 O'Connor Dr., San Jose, Santa Clara Co., CA.
12. SSDI: Social Security Death Index (online at RootsWeb.com):
13. Obituary: "Spanish-American Vet Albert Straub Dies," dated 8 Jul 1969, San Jose Mercury, p. 20.
14. Churchill Standard, 13 Jan 1906, section 4, p. 1 (quote courtesy of Bunny Corkhill, Research Curator, Churchill County Museum & Archives, Fallon, NV.):
16. Letter dated 27 Mar 1940, from the Office of the Postmaster General, Washington, DC, addressed to Mr. Albert R. Straub, Niles, California:
17. Robert G. Fisher (of San Jose, CA). nd. Rancho del Refugio de la Laguna Seca and the Captain William Fisher Family (submitted by Jeanne Rudy and online at the Somos Primos web site). Includes this excerpt:
18. Record of Appointment of Postmasters, 1832-Sept. 30, 1971. NARA, Washington, DC (online at Ancestry.com; extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen; Image #542 of 593):
19. Anon. Monday, 24 Apr 1899. "Albert R. Straub." The Marion Daily Star (Marion, OH). Vol. XXII, No. 130, p. 8 (online at Ancestry.com):
20. Anon. Friday, 6 Oct 1899. "From the Orient." The Marion Daily Star (Marion, OH). Vol. ??XII, No. 272, p. 4 (online at Ancestry.com and Newspapers.com):
21. Albert R. Straub. Report No. 3323 and Report No. 3505 from the U.S. House of Representatives giving Albert R. Straub in increase in his pension in January 1905. There was obviously a preceding house bill (H.R. 13377), and I'm currently trying to obtain a copy.
|Timetable for Albert Roy "Bert" STRAUB
in the Spanish-American War and Philippine Insurrection and surrounding
|Everything I have is online at this web site. I have no further information, so please don't write asking me if I do.
On the other hand, if you feel I've made an error, please don't hesitate to notify me, but in which case,
There are over 18,000 pages on this web site, and I simply don't remember every page, much less every person on every page.
|"The Cloud" is double-speak for "dumb terminal
on a main frame." Been there; done that. Never again.
You are giving away not only your privacy, but control of your data, your apps, and your computer to a corporation. Is that really where you want to go?
The IT guys on the big iron hated the Personal Computer because it gave users freedom and power; now they've conned you into being back under their control again.
|Table of Contents