Table of Contents
of the Hunt — for Ancestors!
|NOTICE: patrilineal descendants of our subject are participating in the KELLY DNA Surname Project. Anyone who suspects he descends from our subject on a direct male line can support that connection with a DNA test. For a discussion of results and lineages for Haplogroup I2b KELLY/KELLEY, please see this page on my web site.|
|Husband: William KELLY / KELLEY
Birth: 12 Apr 1715, Baltimore Co., MD
Death: 10 Oct 1796, St. Thomas Parish, Baltimore Co., MD
Y-DNA Haplogroup: I2b1-Continental-2b (Group B)
Brother said to be: James KELLEY, b. 1710
Father said to be: James KELLEY
Mother said to be: Mary __?__
|Marriage-1: by 1741|
|Wife-1: Elizabeth GORSUCH
Birth: ca. 1719, Baltimore Co., MD
Death: by 1745, Baltimore Co., MD
Father: Thomas GORSUCH
Mother: Jane ENSOR
Secondary sources say Elizabeth was born in 1730 and died in 1780. She cannot possibly have been born in 1730 if she had a child in 1741; and, unless William & Elizabeth were divorced, which would be unusual, she cannot possibly have died in 1780 if William & Eleanor were married by 1745.
|Marriage-2: by 1745|
|Wife-2: Eleanor CORBIN
There's a Public Member Tree (online at Ancestry.com) claiming Eleanor is the daughter of Edward CORBIN & Jane WILKINSON. I have yet to find any evidence to support such a connection, though there is no doubt these KELLEYs were inter-marrying with these CORBINs.
|Marriage-3 presumably: 1779/80 (prenuptual agreement dated 10 Dec 1779)|
|Wife-3: Mary MILLER|
|Children with Elizabeth GORSUCH:|
| 1. Chloe
KELLEY, b. 12 Aug 1741
2. Urath KELLEY, b. 20 Feb 1744
|Children with Eleanor CORBIN — born in Baltimore Co., MD:|
| 3. Rachel KELLEY, b. 2 Mar 1746; d. 2 Mar 1775
4. William KELLEY, b. 7 Feb 1748; d. 29 Aug 1749
5. William KELLEY, b. 10 Apr 1750
6. Joshua KELLEY, b. 10 Apr 1752
7. Nicholas KELLEY, b. 30 Jan 1756
8. Temperance KELLEY, b. 3 Nov 1756
9. Zachariah KELLEY, b. 30 Dec 1760; d. 12 Oct 1782
10. Joseph KELLY, b. 7 Apr 1767
|These three are said to be their daughters, but they are not mentioned
by Barnes (1989: 383) as children of William. Mary's birthyear argues
strongly against her being a child of the same woman who was mother of
Rachel. Most women have a maximum span of fecudity of 23 years (from
age 20 to age 43); 29 years is just not realistic. Or are some of
Eleanor's earlier children actually Elizabeth's?
. Sarah KELLEY, b. 31 Mar 1763; m. Elijah CORBIN
. Ruth KELLEY, b. 1768; m. Zachariah LOVEALL
. Mary KELLEY, b. 1774/5; m. Micajah CORBIN
We do know, for certain, that Sarah and Mary were sisters, just as their spouses, Elijah and Micajah CORBIN, were brothers.
|Child said to be with Mary MILLER:|
|. (Son A) KELLEY, b. 1774-90|
|Keywords for search engines: genealogy; USA, US, United States, Indiana, Maryland|
1. Marriage Record:
2. 1790 U.S. Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com, Image #27 of 55; extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):
3. 1800 U.S. Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com): not found, but only the City of Baltimore was enumerated, not the county at large.
4. Robert W. Barnes. 1989. Baltimore County Families, 1659-1759. Genealogical Publ. Co., Baltimore, MD (Broderbund CD-195):
5. Messages in the Kelley Family Genealogy Forum (online at GenForum.com), including these items:
6. Anon. 1972. "Queries." Bulletin of the Maryland Genealogical Society 13(1): 28-34. On p. 31:
7. Letter, dated 19 Jun 1858, from Keziah (GREENLAND) SHANAFELT (click her link for a full transcription) of Clarion Co., PA, to her son, Thomas. Keziah is a granddaughter of Benjamin & Sarah (SIAS) CORBIN. The letter is in the possession of Laurel Shanafelt Powell of Colorado; Lorinda Clendenon Greenland generously posted a transcription at her web site.
8. LDS. Family Search: Internet Genealogy Service: AF - Ancestral File (online at FamilySearch.org).
9. Broderbund. World Family Trees. Vol. 8, Pedigree #804 and #804. Gives Elizabeth GORSACH as the mother of all William's children.
|Everything I have is online at this web site. I have no further information, so please don't write asking me if I do.
On the other hand, if you feel I've made an error, please don't hesitate to notify me, but in which case,
There are over 18,000 pages on this web site, and I simply don't remember every page, much less every person on every page.
|"The Cloud" is double-speak for "dumb terminal
on a main frame." Been there; done that. Never again.
You are giving away not only your privacy, but control of your data, your apps, and your computer to a corporation. Is that really where you want to go?
The IT guys on the big iron hated the Personal Computer because it gave users freedom and power; now they've conned you into being back under their control.
|Table of Contents