Table of Contents
of the Hunt — for Ancestors!
|Microsoft Explorer and Chrome no longer display "plain vanilla" HTML code correctly. Please use Firefox to view my pages.|
|Husband: Benjamin CORBIN
Birth: 1722 or 1730 or ca. 1732, Baltimore Co., MD
Death: 16 Jun 1813, Westminster, Baltimore [now Carroll] Co., MD
Father: Nicholas CORBIN
|Marriage: 9 Dec 1755, St. John's Parish, Baltimore Co., MD|
|Wife: Sarah SIAS / SYAS / SYAR / SYER / SIER / SIERS / SEARS
Birth: 1736-40, Baltimore Co., MD
Death: 1813, Westminster, Baltimore [now Carroll] Co., MD
Siblings: Joseph SIAS, Benjamin SIAS, and Keziah (SIAS) LANE
|Children — born in Patapsco Lower Hundred, Baltimore Co., MD:|
CORBIN, b. 1757; m. Lydia CORBIN
2. Elijah CORBIN, b. 1760; m. Sarah KELLEY
3. Benjamin CORBIN, b. ca. 1762; m. Eleanor GIVENS
4. Micajah CORBIN, b. 1765; m. Mary KELLEY
5. Joseph CORBIN, b. 1770; m. Nelly GROVER
6. Asahel / Asel / Achel CORBIN, b. 1774; m. Eleanor CORBIN
7. Sarah Ruth CORBIN, b. 30 Apr 1774; m. Nathan GREENLAND
8. Nicodemus CORBIN, b. 1775/78; m. Mary BROWN
9. Keziah CORBIN, b. 1784/5; never married
If Asahel really was born in 1774, then he has to be the twin of Sarah Ruth.
|Two additional children have been attached to Benjamin & Sarah
by secondary sources, but they were not mentioned as children of Sarah
(SIAS) CORBIN by her granddaughter, Keziah (GREENLAND) SHANAFELT, in her
letter of 1858 (see below) — and surely a daughter knows the identities
of her mother's surviving siblings. Further supporting that these
two are not our subjects' children is that there is no room for
either Sophia or Shadrach as children in Benjamin & Sarah's 1790 census
record (see below). And, as if we needed more proof, in the 1880
Census, James SIAS, son of James & Sophia (CORBIN) SIAS, indicates
that his mother was born in
North Carolina, which makes it impossible
for Sophia to be Benjamin & Sarah's child because Benjamin & Sarah
were born, lived, and died in Maryland.
. Sophia CORBIN, b. 1776, NC; m. James SIAS, b. VA
. Shadrach CORBIN, b. 1780
|Keywords for search engines: genealogy; USA, US, United States, Maryland|
1a. Henry C. Peden, Jr. 1987. St. John's and St. George's Parish Registers, Baltimore & Harford County, Maryland, 1969-1851: transcribed from Microfilm in the Maryland Historical Society Library in Baltimore, Maryland. Family Line Publ., Westminster, MD (Broderbund CD-178). On p. 99:
1b. Robert Barnes. 1978/93. Maryland Marriages, 1778-1800. Genealogical Publ. Co., Baltimore, MD (Broderbund CD-195).
1c. Robert W. Barnes. 1989. Baltimore County Families, 1659-1759. Genealogical Publ. Co., Baltimore, MD (Broderbund CD-195):
1d. Marriage Index: Maryland, 1655-1850. Liahona Research, Orem, UT (Broderbund CD-224):
2. Richard B. Miller. 1985. "Index to the Signers of the 1768 Joppa Petitions of Baltimore County, Maryland." Maryland Genealogical Society Bulletin 26(4): 393-428 (Broderbund CD-208).
3. John Davis. 1996. Baltimore County, Maryland, Deed Records, Volume Four: 1767-1775. Heritage Books, Bowie, MD.
4. 1790 Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com, Image #42 of 55 — list roughly alphabetized; extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤•
5. 1800 Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com): not found, but only the City of Baltimore was enumerated, not the county at large.
6. 1810 Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com): not found, but our elderly couple is presumably living with one of their married children. The only Benjamin CORBIN in Baltimore County is living in Mine Run Hundred (nowhere near Westminster) and appears to be our subjects' son.
7. Letter, dated 19 Jun 1858, from Keziah (GREENLAND) SHANAFELT of Clarion Co., PA, to her son, Thomas. Keziah is a granddaughter of Benjamin & Sarah (SIAS) CORBIN. The letter is in the possession of Laurel Shanafelt Powell of Colorado; Lorinda Clendenon Greenland generously posted a transcription at her web site.
8. Irene A. Nielsen. 1983. "Query: CORBIN, LYE, KELLEY." Maryland Genealogical Society Bulletin 24(2): 175.
9. Broderbund. World Family Trees. Vol. 1, Pedigree #2346; Vol. 40, Pedigree #356 (has Benjamin born 1730).
10. The Gene Pool — an entirely secondary source (online at Ancestry.com):
11. Public Member Trees (online at Ancestry.com).
12. WorldConnect / Ancestry World Trees (online at RootsWeb.com/Ancestry.com).
|Everything I have is online at this web site. I have no further information, so please don't write asking me if I do.
On the other hand, if you feel I've made an error, please don't hesitate to notify me, but in which case,
There are over 16,000 pages on this web site, and I simply don't remember every page, much less every person on every page.
|Table of Contents