Table of Contents
of the Hunt — for Ancestors!
|Samuel H. THOMPSON
Matilda S. BRADLEY
|Husband: Samuel H. THOMPSON
Birth: 24 Feb 1784, NC
Death: 26 Apr 1835, Morgan [now Cass] Co., IL
Disposition: buried Cauby Cemetery, Cass Co., IL
Father probably: Samuel THOMPSON
Mother probably: Elizabeth __?__
Some secondary sources have John Theophilus THOMPSON & Mary NEWCOME as the parents of our subject. Please see John & Mary's page for the reasons I do not see how they could remotely be our subject's parents.
|Marriage: 29 Sep 1806, Christian Co., KY|
|Wife: Matilda S. BRADLEY
Birth: 3 Oct 1785/6, VA
Death: 21 May 1850, Cass Co., IL
Disposition: buried Cauby Cemetery, Cass Co., IL
Father: John BRADLEY
Mother: Elizabeth DAVIS
|Children — born in Christian Co., KY:|
| 1. John
Bradley THOMPSON, b. 31 Jul 1807
2. Elizabeth THOMPSON, b. 5 Feb 1810; d. 19 Aug 1853, Cass Co., IL; never married
3. Richard Davis THOMPSON, b. 11 Apr 1811
4. (Daughter A) THOMPSON, b. 1810-1820
5. (Daughter B) THOMPSON, b. 1810-1820
6. Samuel B. THOMPSON, b. 15 Oct 1815
7. Catherine THOMPSON, b. 1816; m1. 13 Feb 1834, Morgan Co., IL, Charles PRATT; m2. Jeremiah HENDERSON
8. James THOMPSON, b. 1820; m. 26 Aug 1856, Mary E. GRIFFEITH
9. Sarah THOMPSON, b. Oct 1821; m2. 28 Sep 1843, Morgan Co., IL, William BOSTON
10. (Son A) THOMPSON, b. 1820-25
11. Matilda THOMPSON, b. 1825; m. 5 Oct 1851, Cass Co., IL, Thomas RICHARDSON
|Sources (n.b., Cass Co., IL, was
not formed from Morgan Co. until 1837):
1a. Elizabeth Prather Ellsberry. [nd] Marriage Records of Christian County, Kentucky, 1795-1825. Typescript (LDS Film No. 0908037, Item #6). On p. 57:
1b. Jordan R. Dodd, ed. 1993. Kentucky Marriages: Early to 1850. Liahona Research, Orem, UT (Broderbund CD-229):
2. 1810 Census (extracted by A. Robert Matthiesen; see 1810 Table):
3. 1820 Census (extracted by A. Robert Matthiesen; see 1820 Table):
4. 1830 Census Index and Digital Images (online at Ancestry.com; Image #13 of 148; extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):
5. Census Index (online at GenealogyLibrary.com):
6. 1840 Census Index and Digital Images (online at Ancestry.com): Matilda's not found as head-of-household, so she must be living with one of her children.
7. Christian County, Kentucky, Tax Rolls, 1797-1816. Heritage Quest, Microfilm No. V20-72 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen). The more you work with the tax lists, the more you realize how sloppy, inconsistent, and incomplete they are. Don't read them absolutely literally, and don't conclude that because someone is absent for a year or more that they are not in the county. People were occasionally exempted from taxes, for a variety of reasons (e.g., old age, poverty, service to the community, widowhood, etc.). A grey cell means that datum was not taken that year. The date the list was turned in to the county clerk by the "lister" (tax collector) was not recorded after 1811.
The county was divided into two districts, but the tax lists did not distinguish between them every year. If an individual occurs on both sides of the 1806-1807 change (from N-S to E-W), it can be helpful in locating them in today's Christian, Todd, or Trigg Cos. The tax lists reflect the two districts in these years:
We obviously have two (or more) Samuel's here, and the big question is: How does the Samuel THOMPSON who married Matilda BRADLEY relate to the Samuel THOMPSON who married Polly READER? The fact that Elizabeth THOMPSON — supposed daughter of Samuel and Mary — married in 1806 in Christian Co., KY, makes it almost certain that her parents were in Christian Co. in 1806. So, which Samuel is which on this list? Or are they the same person? That is, was Matilda BRADLEY the second wife of the Samuel who married Mary? Or was the Samuel who married Matilda son of the Samuel who married Mary (and/or Elizabeth?)?
8. Anon. 1993. Christian County, Kentucky, Wills
and Estates, 1815-1823: Christian County Will Book C. T.L.C.
Genealogy, Miami Beach, FL.
9a. Lon Arneld Bostick, Sr. & James Taylor Killebrew. 1985. County Court Order Book "A" for Christian County, Kentucky for the Years 21 March 1797 - 29 August 1805... Christian County Genealogical Society (1101 Bethel St., Hopkinsville, KY 42240). Not found.
9b. Lon Arneld Bostick, Sr. 1987. County Court Order Book "B" Part 1 for Christian County, Kentucky, for the years 14 Oct 1805 - 12 Sep 1809 for a County Court held at Town of Hopkinsville. Christian County Family and History Research Society (4465 Cadiz Rd., Hopkinsville, KY 42240). First column is the page number in Bostick; second column is the page number in Court Order Book B.
9c. James Taylor Killebrew. 1987. County Court Order Book "B" Part 2 for Christian County, Kentucky, for the years Nov. 1809 - 6 June 1814 for a County Court held at Town of Hopkinsville. Christian County Family and History Research Society (4465 Cadiz Rd., Hopkinsville, KY 42240). First column is the page number in Killebrew; second column is the page number in Court Order Book B.
9d. James Taylor Killebrew. 1999. County Court Order Book "C," Parts 1 & 2, Christian County, Kentucky, 1814-1819. Christian County Genealogical Society (1101 Bethel St., Hopkinsville, KY 42240). Not found.
9e. There are no Court Order Books "D" or "E"; the letters were skipped.
9f. James Taylor Killebrew. 1999. County Court Order Book "F," Parts 1 & 2 [but not Part 3], Christian County, Kentucky, for the years 1819-1825. County Genealogical Society (1101 Bethel St., Hopkinsville, KY 42240). First column is the page number in Killebrew; second column is the page number in Court Order Book F.
10. Christian Co., KY, Marriage Records, 1797-1850. Typescript. LDS Film No. 0496899, Item #2. This film is of a transcription of the county marriage books that includes a list of JPs and MGs performing marriage ceremonies in Christian Co. Among those listed is:
11. Stuart Seely Sprague. 1984. Kentuckians in Missouri. Genealogical Publ. Co., Baltimore, MD. On p. 42 (missing columns contained no data):
12. Anon. 1884. History of Randolph and Macon Counties, Missouri... National Hist. Co., St. Louis, MO.
13. LDS. Family Search: Internet Genealogy Service: AF - Ancestral File (online at FamilySearch.org).
14. Thompson Nexus, vol. 3, no. 3, Winter, 1992, p. 11. Archives of the THOMPSON-L mailing list (online at RootsWeb.com)
15. WorldConnect / Ancestry World Trees (online at RootsWeb.com/Ancestry.com).
|Everything I have is online at this web site. I have no further information, so please don't write asking me if I do.
On the other hand, if you feel I've made an error, please don't hesitate to notify me, but in which case,
There are over 18,000 pages on this web site, and I simply don't remember every page, much less every person on every page.
|"The Cloud" is double-speak for "dumb terminal
on a main frame." Been there; done that. Never again.
You are giving away not only your privacy, but control of your data, your apps, and your computer to a corporation. Is that really where you want to go?
The IT guys on the big iron hated the Personal Computer because it gave users freedom and power; now they've conned you into being back under their control again.
|Table of Contents