Table of Contents
of the Hunt — for Ancestors!
|Robert H. LYONS
??Virginia Genevieve DUBROCA??
|Please Note: secondary sources show our subject with a wife,
Virginia Genevieve DUBROCA. However, I find no evidence that they
were married or even that they necessarily had an affair, though they were
neighbors. The evidence for there being some connection between them
is in the 54 pages of estate papers of Virginia DUBROCA online at FamilySearch.org.
Virginia died surnamed DUBROCA and intestate. Robert LYONS was appointed
Administrator of her estate and guardian of her only heir, the minor
child Genevieve Frances DUBROCA. Clearly, Robert and Virginia were
not husband and wife. This guardianship was transferred to Charles
HALL at the close of proceedings in 1908, which seems an odd thing for
Robert to have done if he was the child's father. It is mentioned
as an aside in one of the attorney's letters regarding Robert posting his
bond as administrator that Robert was "quite a wealthy man." For
her day, and being an umarried woman, Virginia was quite well off, as well.
We do find out that she owned four acres of land with two houses "adjoining
Lyons & Swift store lot..." If you have more information that
would clear all this up, input is welcomed because I'm not entirely convinced
the son of Robert & Armaminta is the one who shows up in Alabama, which
means three Robert's are being mixed up here.
My interest here is LYONs, specifically that this Robert LYONS is — for some strange reason — being mixed up with a Richard LYONS who was born 14 Jan 1846 in Kent Co., MI. These are two different men. As our subject apparently left no living sons, his line will not be represented at the LFA LYON(S) DNA Project, which — as project admin — is my central concern here, so I'll leave it to others to sort this out.
|Husband: Robert H. LYON / LYONS — some say his middle
name was Francis
Birth: 22 Jan 1846, MI — probably Shiawassee Co., MI
Death: 5 Oct 1918, Mobile, Mobile Co., AL
Military Service: Civil War: Pvt., Co. H, 10th Rgmt. Michigan Cavalry
Father: Robert LYONS
Mother: Araminta Dormer VON WORMER
|Friend(?): Virginia Genevieve DUBROCA
Birth: 1850, Mobile, Mobile Co., AL
Death: 28 Apr 1906, Mobile, Mobile Co., AL
Child: Genevieve Frances LYONS, b. 1897; d. 1917
Father: Sylvestre / Sylvester DUBROCA (1814-1859)
Mother: Marie Eveline ALEXANDRE (1809-1889)
Hard as I tried, I could not find the child in either the 1900 or 1910 censuses.
|Keywords for search engines: genealogy; USA, US, United States, Alabama, Michigan|
1. Marriage Record:
2. 1850 U.S. Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com): Robert H. LYONS (æ 4, b. MI) is living in Caledonia, Shiawassee Co., MI, with his parents (q.v.). Sylveste DUBRICA (æ 32, b. AL, Mulatto), his wife, Mary (æ 32, b. AL, Mulatto), and their children are living in Mobile, Mobile Co., AL (p. 478B).
3. 1860 U.S. Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com): Robert LZONS (æ 14, b. MI) is living in Caledonia, Shiawassee Co., MI, with his parents (q.v.). Genevive DUBROCEA (æ 10, b. AL, Mulatto) is living in Mobile, Mobile Co., AL (p. 725B), with her widowed mother, Eveleen DUBROCEA (æ 45, b. AL, Mulatto), plus siblings.
4. 1870 U.S. Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com, Image #8 of 31): Manistee P.O., City of Manistee (Ward 3), Manistee Co., MI, Roll M593_689, p. 216B, PN 8, Line 30, enumerated 18 Jun 1870, official enumeration date 1 Jun 1870 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤•
4b. 1870 U.S. Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com): V. DUBROCA (æ 17, b. AL, Mulatto) is living in Mobile, Mobile Co., AL (p. 56A), with her widowed mother, Mary DUBROCA (æ 56, b. AL), plus siblings, et al.
5. 1880 U.S. Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com): can't find Robert, and I really searched. Virginia DUBROCA (æ 23, b. AL/AL/AL; Mulatto) is living in Mobile (Ward 2), Mobile Co., AL (p. 291C), with her widowed sister(in-law?).
6. 1890 U.S. Census: the 1890 Census Population Schedules were destroyed.
7a. 1900 U.S. Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com, Image #6 of 10): Heltons 10, Baldwin Co., AL, Roll 1, p. 306B, SN 3B, SD 1, ED 8, enumerated 28 Jun 1900, official enumeration date 1 Jun 1900 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤•
7b. 1900 U.S. Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com, Image #5 of 10): Heltons 10, Baldwin Co., AL, Roll 1, p. 306A, SN 3A, SD 1, ED 8, enumerated 27 Jun 1900, official enumeration date 1 Jun 1900 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):-
8. 1910 U.S. Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com, Image #1 of 22): 257 St. Francis [St./Ave.], Mobile City (Ward 2), Mobile Co., AL, Roll T624_27 (Book 1), p. 46A, SN 1A, SD 1, ED 81, enumerated 22 Apr 1910, official enumeration date 15 Apr 1910 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤•
9 . Find-a-Grave: Entries (online at findagrave.com):
10. U.S. Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles, 1861-1865. Historical Data Systems, Kingston, MA (online at Ancestry.com):
11. A family tree online at MyTrees.com — can't access beyond a "hint" because this site charges visitors. This is the site asserting Robert and Virginia were married and Genvieve was their daughter. They also assert he is Robert Francis LYONS.
|Everything I have is online at this web site. I have no further information, so please don't write asking me if I do.
On the other hand, if you feel I've made an error, please don't hesitate to notify me, but in which case,
There are over 18,000 pages on this web site, and I simply don't remember every page, much less every person on every page.
|"The Cloud" is double-speak for "dumb terminal
on a main frame." Been there; done that. Never again.
You are giving away not only your privacy, but control of your data, your apps, and your computer to a corporation. Is that really where you want to go?
The IT guys on the big iron hated the Personal Computer because it gave users freedom and power; now they've conned you into being back under their control.
|Table of Contents