Table of Contents
of the Hunt — for Ancestors!
|Benjamin Edward CORBIN
Elizabeth Melinda RAY
Martha Jane Delilah ATKINS
|As I start to extract more census records, it's clear that "Linda"
and her cohort of children are still alive in the 1900 census, so the alleged
death in 1896 is wrong. That is, it's wrong *if* "Linda" in the 1900
census is the Malinda who married Benjamin E. CORBIN in 1881 and these
are their children.
At the moment, I don't see anything proving Linda is Malinda, nor do I see anything proving that the Benjamin CORBIN who married Malinda is the one who partnered with Martha. There's an overlap in the birthdates of the children between Linda and Martha. Not impossible if Benjamin was cheating on his wife, but Linda's last child was born in March 1900 in Pickens Co., GA, while Martha's first child with Benjamin (viz., Hattie) was born in March 1899 in TN, and they are in the 1900 census of Hardin Co., TN. If they all lived in the same county, it would be more plausible that this is one Benjamin CORBIN, but given the distance between Pickens Co., GA, and Hardin Co., TN, it's highly implausible.
What evidence do we have that the Benjamin CORBIN, born 8 Jan 1861, son of Joseph Edward CORBIN, is the one who married Malinda RAY? What evidence do we have that Linda CORBIN, who calls herself a widow in 1900, is the former Malinda RAY? What evidence do we have that the Benjamin E. CORBIN who married Malinda RAY is the same one who paired up with Martha ATKINS, who gives his birth as Jan 1865 in the 1900 census? The latter connection is the most troublesome because — if Linda is Malinda — he had a child with Martha in Tennessee a year before he had his last child with Linda in Georgia.
|Husband: Benjamin Edward CORBIN
Birth: 8 Jan 1861, Pickens Co., GA
Death: 1920, Woodruff Co., AR
Occupation: farm laborer
Father: Joseph Benjamin CORBIN
Mother: Eleanor Malinda TOWNSEND
|Marriage-1: 4 Dec 1881, Cherokee Co., GA|
|Wife-1: Elizabeth Melinda / Malinda "Linda" RAY
Birth: 20 May 1866, Cherokee Co., GA
Death: 18 Mar 1896, Cleveland, Bradley Co., TN
Occupation: homemaker, farm laborer
|Marriage: 1892-94, Pickens Co., GA|
|Wife: Martha Jane Delilah ATKINS
Birth: May 1859, Pickens Co., GA
Other Spouse: m1. 2 Oct 1881, Cherokee Co., GA, Henry John LITTLE
Father: Berry ATKINS, b. 1805/6, SC
Mother: Mary __?__, b. 1822/3, SC
|Marriage: 23 Mar 1917, Woodruff Co., AR|
|Wife: Anna __?__
Other Spouse: m1. Mr. LITTLE
Other Child: Ruby LITTLE, b. 1909/10, AR
|Children with Linda RAY — born in GA :|
| 1. Elisha
Celcior CORBIN, b. 1 Oct 1881
2. Elijah Taylor CORBIN, b. ca. 1882; d. 29 Apr 1945, Anniston, Calhoun Co., AL
3. Ligle CORBIN, b. Dec 1884
4. John CORBIN, b. Oct 1885
5. Kimsey CORBIN, b. 20 Dec 1887; d. 5 Dec 1968, Cherokee Co., GA
6. Thomas CORBIN, b. Apr 1890
7. Mary CORBIN, b. Aug 1893
8. May CORBIN, b. May 1897
9. Beulah CORBIN, b. Apr 1898
10. James CORBIN, b. Mar 1900
|Children with Martha ATKINS:|
10. [Harriet] "Hatty / Hattie" CORBIN, b. Mar 1899, TN
11. Naomi CORBIN, b. 1901/2, AR
|Keywords for search engines: genealogy; USA, US, United States, Arkansas, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee|
1a. Georgia Marriages, 1808-1967 (online at FamilySearch.org):
1b. Arkansas County Marriages, 1837-1957 (online at FamilySearch.org):
2. 1870 U.S. Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com): Benjamin CORBIN (æ 7, b. GA) is living in Pickens Co., GA, with his widowed mother (q.v.).
3. 1880 U.S. Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at
Ancestry.com): can't find Benjamin or his mother or his sister, but
I do find his brother,
Henry, living in Cherokee Co., GA.
4. 1890 U.S. Census: the 1890 Census Population Schedules were destroyed.
5a. 1900 U.S. Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com, Image #9 of 28): Civil Dist. No. 7, Hardin Co., TN, Roll T623_1576, p. 148A, SN 5, SD 8, ED 31, enumerated 7 Jun 1900, official enumeration date 1 Jun 1900 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤•
5b. 1900 U.S. Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com, Image #12 of 13): Ludville, Georgia Militia Dist. 1370, Pickens Co., GA, Roll 216, p. 234A, SN 6B, SD 39, ED 115, enumerated 13 Jun 1900, official enumeration date 1 Jun 1900 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):
6. 1910 U.S. Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com, Image #29 of 33): Point Twp., Woodruff Co., AR, Roll T624_68, p. 215A, SN 17A, SD 1, ED 139, enumerated 13 May 1910, official enumeration date 15 Apr 1910 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):
7. 1920 U.S. Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com, Image #24 of 27): Garden Twp., Woodruff Co., AR, Roll T625_85, p. 229B, SN 12B, SD 1, ED 248, enumerated 5/6 Feb 1920, official enumeration date 1 Jan 1920 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):
. Public Member Trees (online at Ancestry.com).
. WorldConnect / Ancestry World Trees (online at RootsWeb.com/Ancestry.com).
|Everything I have is online at this web site. I have no further information, so please don't write asking me if I do.
On the other hand, if you feel I've made an error, please don't hesitate to notify me, but in which case,
There are over 18,000 pages on this web site, and I simply don't remember every page, much less every person on every page.
|"The Cloud" is double-speak for "dumb terminal
on a main frame." Been there; done that. Never again.
You are giving away not only your privacy, but control of your data, your apps, and your computer to a corporation. Is that really where you want to go?
The IT guys on the big iron hated the Personal Computer because it gave users freedom and power; now they've conned you into being back under their control.
|Table of Contents