Go to Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Diana, Goddess of the Hunt for Ancestors!
Go to Every-Name Index
Every-Name Index
Some Marion County, Ohio, Soldiers in the Civil War
Source:  Anon.  1883.  History of Marion County, Ohio.  Leggett, Conaway, & Co., Chicago (online at Heritage Pursuit).


THE Fourth Ohio was organized April 25, 1861, for three months' service under Col. Lorin Andrews at Camp Jackson; and, acting under the old militia law of the State, the men proceeded to choose their officers by ballot.  Lorin Andrews, the well-known and highly honored President of Kenyon College, who had volunteered as a private, thus became the Colonel.  He was one of the first prominent citizens of the State who hastened to tender their services to the Government in any capacity.  The ranks of this regiment were filled by two companies each from Marion, Delaware, Mount Vernon, and Kenton, and one each from Canton and Wooster.  May 2, the regiment moved to Camp Dennison, and on the 4th was mustered into the three months' service by Capt. Gordon Granger, U.S.A. President Lincoln calling for three years' men a few days afterward, the majority of the regiment signified their willingness to enter the service for that period, and June 5 it was accordingly mustered in.

June 20, the regiment left Camp Dennison for Western Virginia arriving at Grafton on the 23d.  Moving through Clarksburg and Buckhannon, it arrived at Rich Mountain July 9, but did not actively participate in that engagement, being held as a support for the skirmishers.  On the 12th, it commenced pursuit of the enemy, and on the 13th, six companies, under Col. Andrews, moved with the main column of Gen. McClellan's forces to Huttonsville while the other
four companies, under Lieut. Col. Cantwell, remained at Beverly in charge of 600 rebel prisoners.  On the 14th, the six companies moved to the summit of Cheat Mountain, but on the 16th returned to Beverly.

September 7, Companies A, F and K, under Maj. J.H. Godman, had a skirmish with the rebels at Petersburg, Va., and captured a large quantity of provisions, animals, and some prisoners taking them into camp at Pendleton.  Lieut. Col. Cantwell, with six companies, moved upon Romney September 24, had a brisk engagement driving the rebels from that place.  In that action the regiment lost thirty-two men.  October 25, it joined Gen. Kelly's command and, the next day, moved upon Romney, captured it, and occupied it until January 7, 1862, when, under Col. John S. Mason (successor to Col. Andrews), it moved to Blue Gap, sixteen miles from Romney, surprised the rebels and drove them from a fortified position capturing all the camp equipage and two pieces of artillery.  January 10, Romney was evacuated, and the regiment transferred to Patterson's Creek, on the North Branch of the Potomac, and thence, February 9, to Pawpaw Tunnel on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad.

March 9, the regiment arrived at Martinsburg and on the 11th at Winchester, which place the rebels had evacuated the day previous. Making Winchester its base, detachments were sent out in different directions until

March 23.  It then marched and skirmished around until April 27 and then camped five miles from Harrisonburg until May 5.  On the 12th, it took up a line of march via Luray, Front Royal, Chester Gap, Warrenton, and Catlett's Station for Fredericksburg, Va., arriving on the 22d to join McDowell's corps.  Being ordered back to the valley via Manassas Junction, it reached Front Royal on the 30th, drove the enemy from that place, and captured a large quantity of ammunition, supplies, and a number of prisoners.

June 7, it reached Luray and soon afterward, by a forced march, it reached Port Republic in time to cover the retreat of the national forces.  July 1, the regiment arrived at Harrison's Landing, in the Peninsula, where it remained until August 15 being the last to leave Harrison's Landing on its evacuation by the Army of the Potomac.  It was then ordered around from place to place throughout eastern and northern Virginia, until December 13, when it engaged in a desperate charge through the streets of Fredericksburg receiving the first fire of the rebel artillery on the right of the national line.  The loss of the regiment in this engagement was very severe: five officers and forty-three enlisted men, out of 115 engaged, were either killed or wounded.  The decimated ranks then retired into their old camp near Falmouth where they had been from October 6 to December 12.

Col. Mason was made Brigadier General for his conduct at Fredericksburg, but the low reduction of the strength of the Fourth Ohio is chargeable to the incompetency of Gen. McDowell, who had marched and countermarched it around so much during the preceding summer and fall.  By the 1st of September, it was reduced to only 185 effective men.  The regiment then remained in camp until April 28 when it participated in Hooker's remarkable movement on Chancellorsville resulting, May 3, in the capture of a stand of colors and over one hundred prisoners, among whom were nine commissioned officers.  In camp at Falmouth from May 6 to June 14, when it left for Pennsylvania, the rebels invading that State and the regiment participated in that terrible battle at Gettysburg, being one of three regiments that drove the rebels from Cemetery Hill after they had driven a part of the Eleventh Corps from the field and had gained possession of two of our batteries.  The Fourth lost in this engagement three commissioned officers and thirty-four enlisted men, killed and wounded.  The regiment then joined in pursuit of the enemy into Virginia, in which State it marched around from post to post until August 20 when it embarked for New York City to suppress the threatened riots there.  In September, it was ordered back to Virginia, where it marched around and around from point to point having two or three skirmishes with the enemy and losing twenty-eight killed and wounded, until about December 1 when it went into winter quarters near Stevensburg, Va.

February 6, 1863, it started out again on a round of marches, had a skirmish with the enemy near the Rapidan losing seventeen men, wounded, and returned to camp where it remained until the latter part of August.  It then engaged with Grant's forces until in September when, the term of enlistment of the main part of the regiment having expired, it was wholly mustered out.  Those who re-enlisted as veterans were organized into the Fourth Ohio Battalion.  These served as guard around Washington until near the close of the war when they were mustered out.

The Fourth Ohio Infantry marched 1975 miles and traveled by railroad and transport 2279 miles making an aggregate of 4254 miles.  Throughout


its career the Fourth maintained its reputation for discipline, efficiency in drill, and good conduct on the field of battle.


One of the most successful scouts in the ranks of the Federal army in Western Virginia, in the summer of 1861, was John Cade of Marion County, a private in Company K of the Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  Soon after the regiment arrived in that section, he began to develop qualities which attracted the attention first of Col. Andrews, his regimental Commander, and finally of McClellan himself.  The latter then issued orders that "Jack" should be allowed to pass through the Federal lines, day or night, whenever he wished.  He used the privilege to good advantage several times saving the Union troops from disastrous surprises.  As a successful scout did he become so annoying and so well-known to the rebels that Col. Ashby, rebel, offered $500 for his scalp.  Jack, being anxious to see the male who was so anxious to get hold of his top knot, started out toward Petersburg, then held by the rebels, arriving at the house of a Union farmer by which Ashby was expected soon to pass.  He borrowed a suit of clothiers, a horse, and a scythe from the farmer and started up the road to meet said Ashby.  The latter came in sight, and Jack, with the scythe swung over his shoulder, stopped him and had a protracted conversation with him.  Several times during the interview Jack was tempted to shoot Ashby with his revolver, but he suffered him to depart in peace.

Jack learned, during the conversation, that two companies of Ashby's cavalry would soon pass along a certain road, and he collected a party of Union farmers, ambushed them, and killed eleven men and two horses.

When the Fourth Regiment was transferred to Shield's division and the division transferred to Banks' department, Jack went with it, of course.  He soon won the confidence of his new departmental commander and was again employed in collecting information of the movements of the enemy.  The last time he was sent out by Gen. Banks, he was accompanied by Richard Field, also of Marion, and as brave as Jack himself.  They were ordered to procure information of the situation of Gen. Ewell's camp.  They proceeded to a point on the Masanatten Mountain whence they could, by the aid of a splendid field-glass belonging to Col. Godman, obtain a full view of the rebel encampment.  After making a thorough sketch of it, they started for headquarters, Jack having his papers in his cap with his handkerchief over them.  On their way, they were suddenly surrounded by a number of Mississippi soldiers.  The officer in command ordered them to surrender, which they did, but when ordered to advance, Jack stopped, took off his cap, took out the handkerchief, gathering the papers in his hand with it, wiped his face, threw the handkerchief back deftly retaining the papers in his band, and, whilst advancing toward the officer, apparently by accident he stubbed his toe, fell down and ran his hand under the leaves and rubbish, leaving the papers there, and thus saving himself and comrade from being shot as spies.  They were then taken to Richmond, treated most inhumanly for eight or nine days, and finally paroled.

Following are the officers and privates from Marion County in the Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry:

Col. James H. Godman...

Company H--Capts. Edwin B. Olmstead, William S. Straub...

Corporals ... James S. Elliott...

Privates ... J.B. Corbin, Christian Cope... Josh M.V. Corbin... John Crawford... Josiah Kelly... William H. Osborn... Joel Stroub... Francis M. Stone...



The One Hundred and Seventy-fourth Ohio was organized September 21, 1864, under Col. John S. Jones, and on the 23rd, left Ohio for Nashville, Tenn., to report to Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, then commanding the Military Division of the Mississippi.  On arrival at Nashville, orders were received to proceed to Murfreesboro, which was then threatened by Forrest's rebel cavalry.

The regiment remained at Murfreesboro until October 27 when it moved to Decatur, Ala., and assisted in defending that garrison from an attack made by Hood's advance.  After a movement to the mouth of Elk Creek and back again, the One Hundred and Seventy-fourth remained at Decatur until recalled to Murfreesboro to participate in the investment of that stronghold.  It took an active and prominent part in the battle at Overall's Creek losing two officers wounded, six men killed, and thirty-eight wounded.

After this engagement, the regiment was ordered on dress parade and complimented in person by Gen. Rousseau for their gallantry.  In the battle of the Cedars, it again distinguished itself by making a charge on the

enemy's breastworks and capturing two cannons, a stand of rebel colors belonging to the First and Fourth Florida, and about two hundred prisoners.  The regiment lost in this engagement one commissioned officer killed and seven wounded, four men killed and twenty-two wounded.  It was complimented in general orders for its conduct on this occasion.

After having participated in all the fighting around Murfreesboro, the One Hundred and Seventy-fourth joined the Twenty-third Army Corps at Columbia, Tenn., and was assigned to the First Brigade, First Division of that corps.  In January, 1865, it moved to Washington City where it remained in camp until February 21, then proceeded to North Carolina and, joining the forces under Gen. Cox, took a conspicuous part in the battle of Five Forks, at Kingston.

On the 10th of March, it successfully resisted a fierce attack made by Gen. Hoke.  It lost two officers wounded, four men killed, and twenty-three wounded.  This was the last battle in which the regiment was engaged.

It joined Sherman's forces at Goldsboro and served under Gen. Schofield at Wadesboro, N.C., until mustered out at Charlotte Jane 28; then, returning to Columbus, Ohio, it was paid off and discharged July 7, 1865.

Chaplain B.J. George.

Company I-Capt. William H. Garrett.

First. Lieut. Harry L. Boyd.

Second Lieut. James S. Armstrong.

Sergts. Sanford W. Devore, Orderly; William S. Drake, William H. Patten.

Corps. J.B. Corbin, Samuel H. Kemper, Henry Stratton, C. Van Fleet.

Family Group Sheet of John B. CORBIN

Family Group Sheet of Joel C. STRAUB

Contact Home
Table of

"The Cloud" is double-speak for "dumb terminal on a main frame." Been there; done that. Never again.
You are giving away not only your privacy, but control of your data, your apps, and your computer to a corporation. Is that really where you want to go?
The IT guys on the big iron hated the Personal Computer because it gave users freedom and power; now they've conned you into being back under their control.
Table of Contents
Go to Table of Contents
Privacy Policy ______
Every-Name Index
Go to Every-Name Index