Table of Contents
of the Hunt — for Ancestors!
|Jacob STROUP II
|NOTICE: patrilineal descendants of our subject are participating in the STRAUB Y-chromosome DNA Surname Project. Anyone who suspects he descends from our subject on a direct male line can support that connection with a DNA test. Test results prove our subject does not descend from Jacob STROUP I (1722-1804/5) of Lincoln [now Gaston] Co., NC.|
|Husband: Jacob STRAUB / STROUP — I have found no evidence that
Jacob had middle name, "David."
Birth: 18 Mar 1771
Death: 8 Oct 1846, Cass [now Bartow] Co., GA
Y-DNA Haplogroup: J2-L24
Adoptive(?) Father: Adam STROUP
Adoptive(?)/Biological(?) Mother: Catherine ALEXANDER
There is a deed making it quite clear that Jacob's father was the Adam STROUP in Lincoln Co., NC. The problem is that our subject's descendants are not a DNA match with other descendants of Adam. As Jacob was the eldest of Adam's children, it raises the question as to whether he might have been Catherine's child from a prior marriage or relationship — or simply an adopted child. He is a close genetic match with a family surnamed BIDDLE.
|Marriage-1: 25 Aug 1790, Lincoln Co., NC|
|Wife-1: Elizabeth "Betsy" DELLINGER
Birth: ca. 1773, Lincoln Co., NC
Death: Mar 1807, Lincoln Co., NC
Father: Henry DELLINGER
Mother: Johanna / Hanna / Anna RUDISILL
|Marriage-2 [date of bond]: 13 Mar 1809, Lincoln Co., NC|
|Wife-2: [Maria?] Hannah HOYLE
Birth: 2 Aug 1763, Lincoln [now Gaston] Co., NC
Death: 2 Aug 1820, SC
Other spouse: m1. 1783, Philip RHYNE (1760-1803)
Other children: Michael RHYNE (1788- ); Jacob RHYNE (1789-1842), who married his step-sister, Catharine STROUP
Father: Michael HOYLE
Mother: Margaret __?__
|Marriage-3: ca. 1822, presumably SC|
|Wife-3: Sarah JENNINGS
Birth: 22 Mar 1787, Lincoln Co., NC
Death: 6 Apr 1860, Cass [now Bartow] Co., GA
Other spouse: m1. Edward FEWELL [German FEUELL]
|Children with Betsy DELLINGER — born in Lincoln Co., NC:|
|WARNING: there are some serious problems with this family group sheet, especially with the children attributed to our subject. Except for any primary data given in the Sources, everything here came from secondary sources, so caveat emptor! I'm doing my best to find documentation to support this page. If you have any, please share.|
| 1. (Son A) STROUP, b. by 1790
2. Adam STROUP, b. 1791; d. 1798
3. [Martha] Catharine "Caty" STROUP, b. 1791-93
4. Moses STROUP, b. 12 Oct 1794
5. Aaron STROUP, b. ca. 1796; m. Habersham Co., GA, Elimina WALDROP
6. (Daughter A) STROUP, b. 1794-1800
7. Adam STROUP, b. 18 Aug 1800
8. Benjamin Franklin STROUP, b. ca. 1801/2
9. Mary A. STROUP, b. ca. 1802
10. Josephus / Joseph STROUP, b. ca. 1803
11. Alexander STROUP, b. 1806/7
Said to have had this son:
|Children with Hannah (HOYLE) RHYNE:|
|Children born 1810-20:|
|These sons are often attributed to Jacob, but the problem is that Hannah,
to whom Jacob was married from 1809 to 1820, was too old to be bearing
children this late. So, whose sons are they?
"Eli" STROUP, b. 1810-12
|Children with Sarah (JENNINGS) FEWELL:|
|— born in York Co., SC:
13. Amanda Mary STROUP, b. 21 Aug 1823
14. Andrew Jackson STROUP, b. 21 Jun 1824 — in the 1880 census, gives his father's birthplace as MD
Our subject does appear to have a good paper connection to this son:
— born in Habersham Co., GA:
|Keywords for search engines: genealogy; USA, US, United States, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina|
1a. D.L. Murray & N.R. Murray, compilers. 1995. Marriage Index: MD, NC, VA, 1624-1915. (Broderbund CD-4):
1b. Curtis Bynum. 1929. Marriage Bonds of Tryon and Lincoln Counties, North Carolina. Self-published (reprinted 1982/91 by Southern Historical Press, Greenville, SC). In 1779, Tryon Co. was divided into Lincoln and Rutherford Cos., and Tryon Co. ceased to exist.
Bond of Jacob STROUP/STRAUB & Betsy DILLINGER (scans courtesy
of Michael Stroupe — thank you!).
1d. LDS. Family Search: Internet Genealogy Service: IGI - International Genealogical Index (online at FamilySearch.org).
1e. Marriage Records: Selected U.S./International Marriage Records, 1340-1980, from Yates Publishing (Broderbund CD-403):
2. 1790 Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com; Image #8 of 11; extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤•
3. 1800 Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com; Image #33 of 72 — list was roughly alphabetized; extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤•
4. 1810 Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com; Image #31 of 51; extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤•
|5. 1820 Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com; Image
#33 of 37; extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤•
7. 1840 Census Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com, Image #1 of 6 — the number pages precede the name pages; extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤•
These data indicate:
8. 1850 Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com; Image #112 of 246): 12th Division, Cass [now Bartow] Co., GA, Roll M432_63, p. 155B, 784/791, enumerated 19 Sep 1850 (by Alonzo Stroup):, official enumeration date 1 Jun 1850 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤
9. 1860 Census Index/Images (online at Genealogy.com, Image #3 of 11): Maumelle P.O., Maumelle Twp., Pulaski Co., AR, Roll 49 (Book 1), p. 167, PN 3, 21/20, enumerated 26 Jun 1860, official enumeration date 1 Jun 1860 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤
10. 1870 Census Every-Name-Index/Images (online at Ancestry.com, Image #5 of 33): Little Rock P.O. Prairie Twp., Pulaski Co., AR, Roll M593_62, p. 390A, PN 5, 32/32, enumeerated 16 Aug 1870, official enumeration date 1 Jun 1870 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):
11. 1880 Census (indexed at FamilySearch.org; page image online at Ancestry.com, Image #10 of 23): Pleasant View Twp., Cherokee Co., KS, Roll 376 (Book 1), p. 565B, PN 10, SD 1, ED 47, enumerated 10 Jun 1880, official enumeration date 1 Jun 1880 (extracted by Diana Gale Matthiesen):¤•
12. Descendants of Hans Dellinger by Thomas J. Dellinger.
13. Archives of the STRAUB-L mailing list (online at RootsWeb.com).
14. LDS. Family Search: Internet Genealogy Service (online): International Genealogical Index (IGI).
15. Broderbund. World Family Trees. Vol. 10, Pedigree No. 1354.
16. WorldConnect / Ancestry World Trees (online at RootsWeb.com/Ancestry.com).
|Everything I have is online at this web site. I have no further information, so please don't write asking me if I do.
On the other hand, if you feel I've made an error, please don't hesitate to notify me, but in which case,
There are over 18,000 pages on this web site, and I simply don't remember every page, much less every person on every page.
|"The Cloud" is double-speak for "dumb terminal
on a main frame." Been there; done that. Never again.
You are giving away not only your privacy, but control of your data, your apps, and your computer to a corporation. Is that really where you want to go?
The IT guys on the big iron hated the Personal Computer because it gave users freedom and power; now they've conned you into being back under their control again.
|Table of Contents